Bus Schedules - No Updates for 3 weeks

@mjcarchive @jamesevans

Lets see if anything gets updated tonight!!

8/9 weeks now and still nothing, quite frankly my paitence has run out on the matter!

I think its apaling this has not been fixed sooner!

I surgest this gets fixed other wise start expecting flood loads of invidiual requests for them once again.

This is no on, I dont see why we cannot access the ceasar ourseleves to view not only live schedules but also for past and future ones!

Six weeks, I think.

James - One of the mysteries is why this old method worked until a couple of months ago but no longer does.

To be more precise, it worked on time perhaps two times out of three.and if it didn’t work then someone would give it a kick the next night and it would go through.

So what has changed? I can’t see that correcting all the expired schedules wrongly loaded as current can be the problem, as that seems like a question of version control.

I also note that none of the spider maps in the data bucket have been updated since late May, despite the radical changes to central London services in mid-June. This is odd as the online spider map fro Elephant (for example) included the June changes but the one in the data bucket does not, even though the data bucket is supposed to reflect what is publicly available. Are these issues related in some obscure way?

Finally, last year a huge zip file of expired schedules was made available. Since then, hundreds of schedules will have gone from live to expired and in some cases (e g the 378 I highlighted a few posts ago) will never have been available through the live system. Is there any intention to update the expires schedules file, either from scratch or by issuing an addendum?

@mjcarchive

I thought that the bus spider maps were kept at Bus spider maps - Transport for London

The Stratford one (picked at random) http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/stratford-a4.pdf has a March 2019 date on it. .

Also, you can list the Spider maps using Google…

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acontent.tfl.gov.uk%2Fbus-route-maps+filetype%3Apdf&oq=site%3Acontent.tfl.gov.uk%2Fbus-route-maps+filetype%3Apdf

Brian.

Thank you,

If I understand this correctly, the TfL Data Bucket listing does not (or does no longer) point to the correct up-to-date source. Which rather brings into question the value of the data bucket!

From memory the location of the live maps has changed several times over the years. Goodness knows why but when such a change is made it does mess up any site that links directly to a particular map (and I have seen a fair few local non-transport related groups which have done that). So does changing the actual file name - sometimes they include one or all of the date, a4, hyphens.and sometimes they do not. It is as if there is an assumption that nobody will everybody will access the maps via the maps pages on the TfL website.

It should be easy enough to change the data bucket urls but if locations change, shouldn’t this happen as a matter of course.

We might aswell just FOI them for schedules again?

@jamesevans

Enough is enough now, I mean 10/12 weeks now on-going.

This is simply not good enough…

Seven weeks’ updates missed now.

The existence of a technical issue was revealed more prominently in a FOI answer the other day. I appreciate that clicking the fingers does not make such issues disappear but more informative progress reports would be useful, preferably reports which give a realistic indication of date of resumption.

I repeat, it is simply not good enough.

It should not take this long.

This seems to have been resolved late last week. Over 800 schedules - more than 25% - were replaced in one fell swoop. Let’s hope it all works properly tonight.

If it does, that still leaves the issue of the not insignificant number of schedules which were introduced after 15th July but withdrawn before service resumed, and how they might be made available.

Also my observation that the spider maps linked to in the TfL Data Bucket are in the wrong location.

I can confirm that another update took place late Monday evening.

However, the 170 has disappeared and the 25 Friday schedule is corrupt.

Hi everyone

Thanks for your patience while we’ve been battling with the bus schedules. As you’ve noticed we’ve been manually uploading the schedules while we work to fix the feed. We’ve noted the issues you’ve posted above and are in the process of fixing them. Please do continue to report any issues here. Thank you!

@mjcarchive What do you mean when you say the spider maps are in the wrong location? Thanks for your help :slightly_smiling_face:

The route 25 Friday schedule looks ok to me. Can you try downloading again?

Hi @mjcarchive the bus performance data team have advised that there aren’t currently any live schedules for the 170 but that will be sorted on 21/9.

Looks OK to me now too! The downloaded file wasn’t but this must have been a glitch.

Theo

Take the Stratford spider map as an example. The version in the Data Bucket points to
http://bus.data.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/stratford-a4.pdf
and is correct to 1st December 2018.

Like all the spiders is dated May 28th.

The live version (on the maps pages) points to
https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/bus-route-maps/stratford-a4.pdf
and is correct to 15th June.

If I actually enter this second link in the address bar, it morphs into
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/stratford-a4.pdf
but this is probably of no significance.

The point of including them in the Data Bucket is that they are visible without going through the menus but if they no longer link to the live files it defeats the point.

From memory, the location of spider maps has changed four or five times over the years. The concern (which might be there for other datasets too) is that the knock-on impact on people who use the Data Bucket (or have some other approach independent of the TfL menus) can eb overlooked and this is what seems to have happened here.

Michael

Thanks @mjcarchive for pointing that out! It looks like the content team have uploaded them to the content management system but as you say some users may go to the S3 bucket and not realise there are more up to date versions available. I’ll see what we can do about that.