Is the API Changelog available?

Looking at the Change Log in the API Portal, I can see there have been at least two releases of the API this year. It’s great to see the API continue to evolve and receive attention and fixes, but in both cases, the only “notes” are 6 digit numbers:

• Thursday, April 6, 2023 - 190425
  • Monday, March 13, 2023 - 185868

Is there any way to understand what’s actually changed in case it is material to the way we’ve coded our API consumers? This feels like something someone like @jamesevans might know the answer to?

r

Hi there. The changelog you linked to isn’t something we’re really using. Changes we make to the Unified API are not necessarily reflected in that changelog.

Currently, the best way to find out about API changes is to keep an eye on this forum. For example, in the past few months, we’ve posted here about a couple of improvements to the Journey Planner functionality:

That said, we are trying to find ways to better communicate changes. If you have any thoughts, please let us know. :slight_smile:

(cc @SarahLS)

thanks for the fast reply!

As long as it’s in the news category so it’s easy to find!

Basically, i’m looking out for changes which might break “workarounds” to some of the quirks of the API, such as changing the oddly named schemas to use the actual entity names (see this post), or that every element in the API spec is currently optional - which makes automatically generating types/classes troublesome. Fixing these little things would be amazing - but of course we’d need to know that it’s happening :slight_smile: and i imagine that there are more pressing things on the backlog.

1 Like