Missing schedules in static TxC data vs TFL website

Hello,

We are using TFL arrivals api: Mode/bus/Arrivals (with credentials).
Static TxC data we use: tfl.gov.uk/tfl/syndication/feeds/journey-planner-timetables.zip
Also checked Traveline TxC data, it is the same as by the link above.

The problem:
When matching real-time data with static data we noticed that we receive arrivals for the bus #127 on Friday whereas in static TxC data the only days of operation are Saturday and Sunday.
Also on TFL website the data differs from what is in .xml file corresponding to this route:
tfl: 127 Bus timetable - Transport for London
txc file name as of 2021-05-21: tfl_51-127-_-y05-57799.xml

E.g. the only departure from the Mitcham Road / Tooting Broadway Stn is at 06:10:00 and only on Saturdays

Am I using the right source of static data of there is a better one? Or should I wait for the data to be updates and match the website?

Thanks in advance

Hi John,

There is an error in the data which has now been fixed and will be in the next TxC file upload.

Regards
Matthew ( @GerardButler for reference)

2 Likes

Thanks @MScanlon for the quick reply! Which is a better way to download the updated TxC data as a zip file journey-planner-timetables.zip or from Traveline?

Is it helpful if I also report on the duplicated trips if any? I noticed that there are some overlapping trips and services in London.

1 Like

Hi John,

For TfL data the best zip to use is journey-planner-timetables as this contains all services operated within the London area including the current school specials and replacement buses.

If you do spot any errors in the data provided please highlight them here on the forum and one of the team will be able to pick this up.

Regards
Matthew

Matthew

You may live to regret that invitation!

I happened to look at the 148 on Journey Planner. On Sunday 30th and BH 31st, the departures from Camberwell Green go something like 0340, 0410/35, 0456 then every 15 minutes. However, these appear to be the old times. Working timetables have been loaded dated 15th May (SCN 57874) which shows a less frequent service at this time. It looks as if somehow nothing has been loaded to Journey Planner.

Actually, I could have just looked at any daytime journey as JP still advises to get the 148 to Shepherd’s Bush Green and then walk to White City but the new WTTs reinstate the day service to White City.

As an aside, the weekend day service has always started later than during the week, with the night service ending later to compensate. Sad as I am, I was trying to work out what on earth happens on Public Holidays (and Good Fridays) as no “special” WTTs have been loaded (yet).

1 Like

Hi Michael,

With regards to the 148 schedule changes, we were advised by London buses that this changed had been postponed to a latter unannounced date, so the day part of the 148 should not be serving White City again yet,

Regards
Matthew ( cc @GerardButler)

That’s weird. TfL’s own arrivals info shows most buses heading for White City, e g.

[Edit - it appears that this link takes you to a generic 148 page and that you have to double click on a stop on the map to get arrivals this way.]

On the other hand, clicking on same stop on Google Maps shows exactly the same buses terminating at Shepherd’s Bush. Seems odd that they should be using two different sources of Countdown-style information but if they are the two sources are inconsistent.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I believe this was a last minute change so schedules may have been set to be published before the change was cancelled. However it is worth noting that there is a further service change next week which should hopefully get the 148 schedules back in sync.

Regards
Matthew (cc @GerardButler )

@MScanlon
Thanks. Any idea why the TfL site has it wrong (White City) but Google Maps has it right? I would have thought they were using the same source.

Goodness knows (I certainly don’t) whether the old schedules are right or whether the new schedules are being operated but the buses turned short!

Michael

Google maps check their data before displaying it? :wink:

Hi Michael, we are investigating this. With regards to Google they use the TxC files provided by ourselves so this would contain buses terminating at Shepherd’s Bush which matches with the data being shown in Journey Planner and XML feeds.

Regards
Matthew ( cc @GerardButler )

@MScanlon
Hi Matthew. The TxC files are static, aren’t they, which would imply that they are not using live arrivals data at all.

But if I look at the same stop as yesterday I see arrivals on all routes (not just the 148) showing the bunching that never appears in the schedules but usually occurs in practice. To me this suggests that they are using the live data. Or, if they are not, they are using more than one TxC schedule simultaneously, hence the duplication!

I do note though that the RH column (giving the times) is in blue for most arrivals but black for some others.

I did hear a suggestion from elsewhere that the new (White City) schedules were loaded into the system (though obviously not to JP) but buses curtailed at Shepherd’s Bush. It does actually matter because the early morning frequency at weekends has been reduced in the new schedules, so someone relying on JP at that time could experience an unexpected wait.

Michael

Hi Michael,

We believe this is being operated at a local level so the iBus and countdown data may still display as WHite City but buses will terminate at Shepherd’s Bush. As mentioned previously there is another scheduled service change this weekend so this should hopefully rectify this issue and all outputs should display the same schedules again

Regards
Matthew (cc @GerardButler )

@MScanlon

Sometimes you just have to laugh. Today Countdown and related apps are showing “Shepherd’s Bush” and Google Maps “White City”, the precise opposite of last week. The only Datastore file shows buses running to White City but if buses are being curtailed by local arrangement that would not count for anything.

Michael

1 Like