No Journey Planner Datastore update

This usually gets updated at 3am on a Tuesday morning. Hasn’t happened yet.

Hi Michael,

I believe there has been a Change Freeze due to updates to other parts of the systems which has prevented any updates going through this week, @neamanshafiq are you able to confirm this?

regards
Matthew

Thanks, Matthew.

The similar zip file supplied to Traveline had been updated as it contains new files.

To the extent that I recognise the term “Change Freeze”, I thought it applied to avoiding making more than one set of software changes simultaneously, rather than suspending normal processing, so I imagine that the failure to update the Datastore Journey Planner zip file (it’s still not there) was an unintended consequence of something.

Does it mean that Journey Planner itself is now more than a week out-of-date, or does that happen more regularly, with a snapshot being taken weekly for the Datastore zip file?

Michael

Any update/clarification?

Will it happen again next week?

Michael

Hi Michael,

I believe that the TxC files will be updated as normal this week

1 Like

@MScanlon Your faith is misplaced so far. All the files in the Datastore zip file are dated 5th rather than 12th.

Michael

I can cinfirm that the Traveline version of the zip file has been updated with files up to the 12th. There are 42 completely new files this week. Probably not useful to list them as Gerard’s Journey Planner Newsletter does so (though quite a few of those described in JPN as having new timetables actually don’t).

I did ask last week whether the failure to produce the Datastore zip file also meant that Journey Planner itself had not been updated but given that a Traveline version is successfully generated this seems unlikely.

I don’t think the Traveline version is fully open data as I have to enter a password each time to access it (after registering many moons ago).

Michael

Hi Michael,

Journey Planner was not affected by this issue as the data here is from the API rather than TxC and is updated on a near daily basis.

Regards
Matthew

Though nobody else has bothered to say it, the updated Datastore version of the file has now been made available. No idea when though a fair guess would be in the early hours this morning.

Interesting that there appears to be no file for the weekend night extras introduced (temporarily?) on the N29, even though new working timetables for the so-called VN29 appeared last week. It’s basically tweo additional vehicles supplementing the main 10 minute frequency.

Michael

@jamesevans @MScanlon
The usual Tuesday update of the Journey Planner Datastore file appears not to have happened. Of course it would just happen to be the one that might have all the NYE services in it.

Chrome also tried to tell me that it was an insecure download and presented me with a “Keep?” prompt if I wanted to go ahead. I imagine that it a Chrome change rather than anything TfLish but I thought I would mention it.

We’re looking to release the full set of festive data which is quite large as a combined dataset. This is why it has taken longer. I’ll let you know once that has been completed.

Many thanks,
James

1 Like

@jamesevans
Thanks - if memory serves it can be over 1000 files instead of 750 or so and that led to problems with busting the limit on the number of files in any one zip file - which is why they are split into four zip files (for normal buses) plus two others.

1 Like

@jamesevans
Is there an ETA for this yet please? Santa’s getting restless…

Hi @mjcarchive - the script to produce the file is running now. If no issues, we will publish as soon as it finishes.

Many thanks,
James

@jamesevans
There were issues, I take it?

I can see a new version was uploaded today at 12:56 GMT.

Try this link:
https://tfl.gov.uk/tfl/syndication/feeds/journey-planner-timetables.zip?20231221

@LeonByford @jamesevans
Thanks, that seems to be OK. I’d got fed up with downloading and was waiting for “the word”. 978 files for buses (including replacements) and another 142 for other modes. Not sure if that is a stadium record…

1 Like

Can I assume that there is no Datastpre JP update this week?

I ask because the special NYE night services on N25 and N29 still appear to be absent.

Hi @mjcarchive - there was no new data available compared to last week’s update so no update was done. No updated schedules for N25 & N29 were submitted by the operators so this has not been included in the available data.

Many thanks,
James

Thanks @jamesevans
Perhaps new working timetables will appear on Sunday morning. At least the two routes are high frequency even without enhancements so passengers should not be adversely affected.

The other possibility, I suppose, is that the enhancements have been dropped.