Train Descriptions

Is it possible to expose the Train Description field of the timetable within the legacy feed? For example, on the Met line, AM0 being All Stations Amersham.

The Trip Number is available within the legacy feed so I would hope that the TD field can be displayed too.

You have to config with @jamesevans but I’m going to suggest this as a no. Two main reasons:

See al

so Inconsistant TfL and NRE data at Amersham, Chalfont & Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth and Harrow on the Hill

I note you did get a reply about thiis in Unknown Destinations of Trains

Totally concur. However, in recent months the legacy feed has been updated to display the leading car number of a train hence I don’t see why, if it was available to be used, the TD couldn’t be returned within the feed too.

I am aware that 4LM will (should?!) improve things vastly. But given the delay to the programme, incorporating the TD seemed a quick win, which in itself isn’t reliant on the completion of the 4LM project as it’s already available.

And to be fair, this wasn’t strictly the same question I posed in the other thread, which suggested using (subsequently confirmed as unavailable) data from the train itself to derive a destination or stopping pattern.

Any thoughts from James on this topic though would be appreciated!

Ah, yes, the ever popular…

That has been mystery to me since the 1980s…

Hehe, I’ve always wondered where that station is. It’s not on any tube map I’ve seen!

If the front of the train knows where it is going, it is because somebody or something has directly or indirectly “told” the front of the train where it is going. So it shouldn’t be beyond the wit of TFL or the company operating the train to also find a way for the same “somebody or something” to directly or indirectly tell the station indicators where that train is going.

However, the sign makes the totally false presumption that the information on the front of the train is correct, but that isn’t always the case. A train from Liverpool street went all the way to Chingford despite saying on the front it was for Enfield Town, and announcing at every stop, both verbally and visually, that the train was for Enfield Town. From Hackney Downs where the lines split, it even announced “this is Seven Sisters/Bruce Grove/White Hart Lane etc”, each time picking the name of the next station from the Enfield branch instead of the Chingford branch.

On numerous other occasions I’ve been on a train where the announcements go “backwards” along the line, ie they’re for the up line instead of the down line.

I wonder, do the drivers know where their trains are going, and are they capable of reading the signs on the platform and working out that they’re different from the names that their announcements are making?

@harry

I was going to post some points (sic) about this, but it might be worth referencing this new article first

Which means, on a railway it is whoever controls the points that decides where the trains go. The signs you see on some (older) stations are part of a parallel CIS (Customer Information System). As we move forward with the automation of points and then trains, the CIS will be like that of the DLR, a unified data source.

Hi @Weezer

I’m no trackernet expert by any stretch. I’ll speak to the team that look after it and see if I can find a proper answer.

The only way I can think of doing it is to use the CUF timetable files to associate the Train Description field to the Train No/Trip No combination and that should give you an idea of which trains are fast/semi-fast/all-stations etc in Trackernet.

Thanks,
James

Thanks James. Yes had thought of that as a solution but it can be difficult to link if services are out of kilter. Seems to me that Trackernet might store that data and, if so, that it could be output to the feed with any reassigned TDs updated during the course of a journey to give fresh information to the train being displayed.

Will wait to hear more!