Acton Town - the most unhelpful station on the Tube?

I had to help people at Acton Town again today. The only actual information for passengers is this which was posted almost invisibility to a windows on platform 3/4

The main things wrong are:

• There is NO TERMINAL 1 at Heathrow Airport anymore but all the signs say that there is.
  • The next train indicators are hard to see anyway on the actual platforms
  • There’s no on-platform route signs - especially showing the Heathrow Loop.
  • Passengers need to know to the a train to the airport but it’s totally unclear that Piccadilly Line Rayner’s Lane and Piccadilly Line Uxbridge aren’t a terrible option to take if because you’re having to up and over the Piccadilly Line with your bags as there’s no lifts on that bit.
  • and contrary to the above notices, @jamesevans The API shows Cockfosters bound Pic trains from platform 3,

Hi @briantist

Looking at the faded red ON in MAYOR OF LONDON, I guess these signs are from the Ken Livingstone era. If these are giving inaccurate information, can you please report on our contact form.

I can’t see anything in your image of the window regarding eastbound Piccadilly line trains. It’s our understanding that they can depart from either platform 3 or 4.

Many thanks,
James

Or even from both at the same time. Being part of a race between two Piccadilly Line trains between Acton Town and Hammersmith almost made up for a half hour hold up west of Acton Town. My train won by a short head. Of course the bottleneck re-emerged east of Hammersmith.

That was twenty or thirty years ago, mind - maybe it’s not possible now.

@jamesevans

I guess whatever sign said that on the office window has fallen off!

In practice the Piccadilly line train should be on platform 3 as they are accessing the “fasts” which take the non-stopping trains past the district stopping services.

However, I can’t help noticing that almost all of the platform indicators on the Sudbury Branch don’t have either “Piccadilly Line” or “Check from of Train”.

I’m trying to be helpful here!

Or even from both at the same time. Being part of a race between two Piccadilly Line trains between Acton Town and Hammersmith almost made up for a half hour hold up west of Acton Town. My train won by a short head. Of course the bottleneck re-emerged east of Hammersmith.

That was twenty or thirty years ago, mind - maybe it’s not possible now.

It’s not possible now. Since the signalling upgrade on the District line a couple of years ago trains can’t get back on to the fast at Hammersmith. The Piccadilly line trains can still use Platforms 4 and 3 at Acton but from 4 they have to cross onto the fast line as they leave.

1 Like

All I’m suggesting is that someone could please put some signs up at the station.

Give that you have to climb up and over to change direction (platforms sorted) by direction there should be some signs saying this.

And I think that on the direction towards Heathrow the signs should show that Rayner’s Lane and Uxbridge are not towards the airport and there should be a diagram showing the Heathrow Loop. Mainly because this is the last chance you have to get on the right train!

@jamesevans All I’m asking for is these signs to be put up on the stairways and platforms as is normal! :smiley:

and

Thanks.