Geographical data for tube lines

A line route/sequence request for a bus route gives a detailed set of linestrings which give precise geographical information for the bus route, allowing that to be plotted on a map with a high degree of accuracy. Roundabouts and corners are carefully described, even though you can’t board the bus there.

That’s not true however for the tube, the linestrings simply return the coordinates of stations with no detail on the path between them - meaning that plotting a tube line on the map produces an inaccurate set of straight lines.

Is there any way to find more precise geographical coordinates for the tube routes?

You might find this website of interest. The data are based on OpenStreetMap, not from TfL.

@grahamwell

It’s in London Railway Atlas 6th Edition Hardcover – 12 Sept. 2023
https://www.amazon.co.uk/London-Railway-Atlas-6th-Brown/dp/1800352638

which seems to be mostly reproduced by

If you only wish to view a Tube line on a geographic map, you can do this on our Public Asset Register. If you open the Layer List, you can filter to only show the Line of Route layer. However, this information is copyright TfL and is not available for reuse.

We plan on using OpenStreetMap for the Tube’s geographic data in Journey Planner in the coming months. The network is grouped together in this relation, and you can see this plotted on Overpass Turbo.

1 Like

Thanks Leon. Out of curiosity, what is the “LUL Zone of Influence”. I’m curious because it passes half-way through my house :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

OK, apologies, should have just Googled it

I’m a little surprised that it didn’t come up in the solicitor’s searches. Not that it seems to matter.

This:

… is the sweetest implementation of a geographical view of the tube. I’m curious to know where he got the data from. There’s nothing to stop me doing it myself, armed with just Google Maps, but it looks like a tedious task.

It looks like it’s derived from the geographical map released a few years ago under a FOI request.