JamClip map with archived video and stills

I’ve added an archive mode to my basic map of TfL JamClips, reaching back 1 month, if it is of any interest to people:

https://livetrains.co.uk/jamCams/osm/#00001.06501

1 Like

Wow. That is excellent @dbrb2

I’m very impressed.

I can link that camera near me too, which is very cool.

Thanks. I have just seen you wrote some code to do something similar last month - I should probably have searched before I implemented it myself!

The basic site has been up for ages, but you can get some nice little animations as you flick through the video for a given camera over the course of a day

1 Like

Great app. Your list even includes two cameras near me that I knew existed, but could never display.

1 Like

I couldn’t get the buttons to load previous images on the map but a great idea/site, nicely put together :+1:
I love the wall/video feature, can this be performed for a particular locality or is it just by ascending camera number?

I have a similar site/PWA and have been archiving cam image clips for 30 days although in a slightly different format to this. The main map also includes bus/train departure info.

Google quotas forced me to seek an alternative mapbox version when the Google quota gets exceeded which is usually about midday UK although both version have live traffic overlays and cams which was the original objective.

Again, great site, nicely put together and thanks for sharing :+1:

Site/PWA Link
https://www.tfljamcams.net
Clicking on the camera name will open the archive…

GitHub Code
https://github.com/OldManBrook/TfLJamCams

Oh @OldManBrook - that is cool. And you’ve put it in git…I probably should, but haven’t yet! The good news is I fixed the archive mode. The bad news is I may have deleted the archive in the process…oh well, it will be full in another 29 days!

Thanks @dbrb2, confirmed working ok and a lovely piece of functionality I must say!

My archive is available as a zip download on each cam page if you need a set for testing…

Out of interest, how much space are you using to archive all video/images?
I’m pushing 200GB for 41 days worth of images and will be increasing to 60 days when I change host in 2 months.

Yeah, it’s a lot of space - probably up to about 400G, but I am hosting the server myself so that isn’t such a problem. I also mitigate overall size a little by checking the exif image data against the copy I already have, and only retrieving the image/video pair if a new video/image has been uploaded to AWS. That also makes the archive a little easier to browse, as you (should) never end up with multiple copies of the same image

Hey.

I’m desperately trying to track down a hit & run on 16th Dec at 4.21am. I was looking for ways to check the footage from the cam at upper Richmond road/Clifford avenue and discovered your amazing app. However the earliest I can get is the 17th dec. Is there any chance you still have data from the 16th on the server?

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Hi,
I’m sorry - the video files across 900 cameras take up a lot of space, so I periodically delete old footage, and won’t have any way of recovering the files

However, if anyone in the TfL control room noticed what was going on, it is not impossible that they will have taken a recording (though they do not routinely record any of their cameras)

Best of luck with your search

1 Like

Thanks this is a great site indeed. I was able to download a zip file with images on last Friday (11/03/2022), but I am currently not available to do so. I am hitting on a specific location camera link and instead of getting me to the relevant archive folder it just gives me the option to see again the camera list of the location of the current camera I have picked. Is there any temporal problem with the site, or am I doing something wrong?

Hi
The directory listing for individual archived files is disabled, though it always has been… Though there is nothing to stop them being downloaded individually

I used to keep 7 days images at 5 minute intervals, but the space needed was a problem

I am currently running 12 hours at 5 minutes, but I could (for instance) look at longer history with a greater gap between images…

Thanks for the post Michail :+1:

I did get notified that my hosting was updating the server to PHP 8.0 but didn’t consider any problems.
I have just checked and the site is not executing any server filesystem functions (directory lists etc…)

I have reverted the site back to PHP 7.4 whilst I rewrite the syntax for PHP 8.0 :frowning:

Thanks for using the site and all the best

Hi there, Im just trying to track down footage of a motorcycle accident I had on 24/03/22 and came across your page. The camera 1460 would have perfectly captured it. Is there any chance you would have the footage of this as I can’t seem to see a way to do so?

@crm92 - sorry to hear of your bike accident. I’ve had a few of those over the years so you have my sympathy.

The images are not stored by TfL (see above posts) so you can’t get them even with something like a FoI request.

I’m guessing you already looked at https://livetrains.co.uk/jamCams/osm/#00001.06501 (from the original poster)?

Thanks for the reply. Ah that’s annoying, I have sent off a FoI request but sounds like that won’t help then. Unfortunately, the footage on the link doesn’t go back far enough and the screenshots on tfljamcams miss the action . I’ll have to proceed without it. It’s a fairly straight forward non fault accident but I was hoping the footage would solidify it.