New open data for urban planners

Hi everyone! I’m new to the Forum and not too big a Techie myself, so please be gentle :slight_smile:

I recently updated and relaunched the Urban planning and construction part of the TfL website: Urban planning & construction - Transport for London

Take a look if you’re interested in TfL’s role in planning across London. We’ve created a new Active Travel Zone (ATZ) assessment for all big planning applications.

And that’s supported by some new Open Data! Mainly GIS layers for the mapping we want to see property developers and their representatives use to promote walking and cycling from now on.

Longer term, our new web pages and open data area will hopefully become a ‘one stop shop’ for helping planning applicants, local authorities and others involved in transport planning for new development in London.

More best practice, Active Travel Zone maps, and case studies are now needed to bring this to life, and fresh ideas are always welcome! Feel free to let me know your thoughts on the layers and their usefulness. They include the current and future TfL strategic cycle network.

A warning, for clarity - if you don’t work with planning applications or property developers, this is perhaps not relevant to you! But there is more generally useful Open Data coming very soon, which is really exciting. Watch this space!

1 Like