Route 469 terminal stop name

Hi,

The terminal names used by the legacy Countdown API (not looked at the unified API) for route 469 seem to have changed recently. At the Woolwich end, the Countdown DestinationName is now “Woolwich Common,Queen Elizabeth Hospital” whilst the DestinationText name is “Q E Hospital”. As the buses show a plain “Queen Elizabeth Hospital” is there any chance the DestinationText name could be changed (back) to match please?

The Countdown API documentation states:
DestinationName
“The full length destination name of the trip the vehicle is on. The destination name is based on the
route and end point of the trip.”

DestinationText
“The abbreviated destination name of the trip the vehicle is on. The destination text is based on the
route and end point of the trip.”

How is the DestinationName derived? The stops in question here 72136 / 490011307H3 and 58523 / 490011307S are listed in “bus stop sequences.csv” as “QUEEN ELIZABETH HOSPITAL / WEST ENTRANCE” so it’s not coming from the name on the stop (or at least not all of it! :wink: )

Simon

@SJCooper

For what it’s worth, the use of “Q E” to stand for Queen Elizabeth (see also QEOP) is a bit esoteric and shouldn’t be used.

I think there has been a bit of a regrouping of stop names to deal with the problem in some places that there are several concurrent stops on places like “Woolwich Common”, and to therefore name none of them “Woolwich Common” was unhelpful, but quite typical.

Now bus stops are called Larger Place, Smaller Place but this doesn’t translate into well into the new style big-text-only bus blinds.

So, let’s ask @jamesevans to agree with you!

@SJCooper @briantist

Up late doing a release tonight!

I’m not an expert in Countdown, but I think DestinationName relates to the full destination as it appears on the bus blind.

DestinationText I believe is designed for the Countdown boards, so a character limit comes into play.

I’ll see if I can get some clarity from my colleagues when I return to the office on Tuesday.

Thanks,
James

Hi James,

Both pre and post operator change (Arriva to Go-Ahead) the blinds show “Queen Elizabeth Hospital”.

The reason I’ve brought this up is that this new longer terminal name is causing us line wrap on https://lvf.io/ for the routes affected (174 is a bit of a problem too but in that case the data matches the blind used :frowning:).

Regards

Simon

1 Like