smsCode missing in StopPoint API response

Hi,
https://api.tfl.gov.uk/StopPoint/Mode/bus?page=1 doesn’t return the smsCode although it is present in the response sample. Is the smsCode really supposed to be in the response ?

If not, how can I get all the smsCodes for all bus stop points ?

Thank you

As this is in the schema is should be in the response right? Can we get an update if this can be rectified?

can someone kindly answer my question please ?

Thank you

Hi @nakkore We are looking into making this change to the API but it does require some work from our dev team. Do you mind sharing what your use case is for a bulk return of SMS bus stop codes so we can understand what you’re aiming to achieve? Thank you!

Hi,
my app is based on sms codes (other than stop name & indicator) to identify a bus stop. I’m currently using the legacy countdown api which allows using sms codes directly with no further calls unlike the unified api.
As I’d like to use the unified api to get the arrivals with one single api call either you:
provide an api which accepts sms codes as input (instead of just naptan codes)
or
provide me a way to build a mapping between sms codes and naptan codes.
Currently I’m using the legacy feeds to build the mapping but it would be great to use the unified api without relying on anything else.

Thank you

Thanks @nakkore! Sounds interesting. We’re always keen to hear how developers are using our open data. We didn’t envisage SMS codes being used as bus stop identifiers - Naptans are industry standard identifiers and used by transport providers throughout the UK. Any reason why you decided to use SMS codes above Naptans in your app?

Two main reasons.
Firstly sms codes are advertised on the bus stops, so it’s public information and in my opinion a short and effective way to uniquely identify a stop. I like to provide the user with the possibility to add a stop to the favourites using the sms code (among other possibilities) for example or I want to show the sms code in relevant screens( nearby stops, bus routes etc).

Secondly other cities use a similar identifier (usually 5 digits) and sometimes it’s the only way to identify stops. The business logic of the app and the user interface as well in my case take advantage using this common identifier.

So in short internally the app could use naptans but I want to keep this useful piece of information for the public.

Thank you

@theochapple any update on this topic please ?

@theochapple I’m building a Small Web Bus Times App for people who use feature phones. I would also greatly appreciate being able to use SMS Codes as bus stop identifiers

Gps is much, much easier!

Use “https://api.tfl.gov.uk/stoppoint?lat=______&lon=$$$$$&stopTypes=NaptanPublicBusCoachTram&radius=600&useStopPointHierarchy=True&returnLines=True&”;

loop for modes=“bus” and return $point->naptanId

The dumb phone I use I’m quite sure won’t support GPS

@NesquikMike

You will have to forgive me as I worked on GPS when it was a secret Military project for guiding missiles, but I can’t think of any phone that will be able to use an “App” that doesn’t have GPS.

GPS has been a standard since the first Apple iPhone and the Google G1.

My phone has a very limited internet browser, that can’t load heavy websites

I’m looking to make a really small website like this text based google maps. At the moment this is the only way I can use maps on my phone.

Does this work for you?

The new version of the JS Google maps is very good and very fast…

When try to load that link in the browser through my phone I get a ‘Not Enough Memory’ error.

I get the same thing on Google Maps.

OK, great. Does https://nr.whoosh.media/app/auto link to your local train station?

Also, I presume you can load static Google maps from https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=51.5550415,-0.151219&zoom=16&size=522x330&scale=1&key=AIzaSyDrCYu38UTKWJjdKTItExzHruI91qtLick&markers=color:c52c2d|label:C|51.555081,-0.151155&markers=color:c52c2d|label:P|51.554783,-0.151672 ?

The whoosh link loads but not properly. It doesn’t link to my local train station.

The google maps link worked though.